Prof. Dr. Bella Galil
Curator (emerita) of Crustaceans - Steinhardt Museum of Natural History, ISRAEL
Bella Galil’s research interests are marine biology with emphasis on anthropogenic changes of macrobenthos in coastal and deep waters, dynamics/conservation of marine biodiversity, marine bioinvasions. She has handled benthic surveys and monitoring in nationally important projects.
Her professional responsibilities are extensive:
- From 1993-1997 she served as Chairperson of the Executive Committee of the Zoological Society of Israel, and from 1992-1998 she was the Managing Editor of the Israel Journal of Zoology (1992-1998).In both cases she was the first woman to hold these positions.
- She is a founding member of the Israeli Association for Aquatic Sciences (IAAS) and was co-organizer and co-chair of the interdisciplinary workshop on the continental margins of the Mediterranean coast of Israel from 1989-2003.
- Galil was Co-chair of the scientific committee “Living Resources & Marine Ecosystems” for the Mediterranean Science Commission (CIESM) from 2001-2007 (again, the first woman to serve in that position).
- She was a Member of the Directorate, and chairperson of the Scientific Committee of Israel’s Nature and Parks Authority from 2007-2012.
- She has been a Member of the Editorial Board of Biological Invasions and a Member of the Advisory Board of Aquatic Invasions
- Since 2005 she has been a member of the Invasive Species Scientific Committee, IUCN and Coordinating Lead Author of the IPBES Assessment on Invasive Alien Species
Dr. Galil has authored 340 peer-reviewed scientific papers and four books.
- Keynote Presentation - Some like it hot – Erythraean bioinvasions into the Mediterranean Sea
13:30 - 14:15 | Tuesday, April 19, 2022