Take a stroll in this magnificent ‘Kaiyusschiki-style’ garden and marvel at the various landscapes which unfold before your eyes. No-one would expect this oasis of tranquillity and contemplation so near to the sea and Oostende’s vibrant city centre. During Belgian school holidays (with the exception of the Christmas and the spring break holidays), open every day.
A former Belgian merchant marine training ship, this three-masted schooner is now a floating maritime museum. It has a length of more than 78 m and a width of 11 m. This beautiful ship is really worth a visit. Great for kids as well.
This tour is available to those who are registered for ICAIS 2022 and their accompanying guest. The cost for the tour is €50. Please contact the Conference Administrator if you are interested in joining the tour. Availability will be on a first come, first served basis.
Saturday, 23 April 2022, 08:30 – 18:00
Transportation will be aboard a touring bus that will depart the Thermae Palace Hotel around 08:30 and participants will be returned to the hotel by around 18:00.
On this day trip through Belgium and The Netherlands, participants will visit:
- A marina with a large variety of alien marine seaweeds, worms, crabs and sea-squirts. Using pre-deployed settlement plates, scrape nets, hand dredges and gelatinous zooplankton nets, you will encounter a large selection of alien species, like the beautiful purplish feather worm Bispira polyoma, which was introduced to Europe relatively recently.
- The impressive, large Eastern Scheldt storm surge barrier.
- A Pacific oyster reef, as far as the eye can see. If time, wind, and tides allow, we will also make a short stop to check out the basket-ball sized Biflustra grandicella colonies, Pacific bryozoans known to inhabit only this site in Europe.
- A Belgian inland freshwater canal with its alien inhabitants, among which are various Ponto-Caspian fish and crustaceans.
8:30 – 10:00 Oostende (BE) – Breskens (NL) by bus
10:00 – 11:30 Alien species tour in the marina at Breskens www.jachthavenbreskens.nl
Alien species present:
- Undaria pinnatifida (Wakame)
- Hemigrapsus takanoi
- Hemigrapsus sanguineus
- Bispira polyoma
- Magallana gigas
- Botrylloides violaceus
- Styela clava
- Sycon scaldiens
11:30 – 13:30 Small ferry from Breskens (NL) to Vlissingen (NL) for a lunch stop.
13:30 – 14:30 Storm surge barrier on the Eastern Scheldt (guided tour by Rijkswaterstaat – RWS)
14:30 – 15:00 Japanese oyster reefs of the Eastern Scheldt (low tide around 15:00)
15:00-16:00 By bus from Goes (NL) to Gent (BE)
16:00-17:00 Alien species in Canal Gent – Terneuzen
Alien species expected:
- Round goby Neogobius melanostomus
- Chinese mitten crab Eriocheir sinensis
17:00-17:45 Gent (BE) -Oostende (BE), back in hotel by 6 p.m.